The benefits of going green
Your organization’s purchased electricity use can be a significant source of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. Buying green power can help reduce your organization’s environmental impact while also providing valuable benefits:
- Avoid carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions
- Reduce some types of air pollution
- Hedge against future electricity price increases (certain products)
- Serve as a brand differentiator
- Generate customer, investor, or stakeholder loyalty and employee pride
- Create positive publicity and enhance your organization’s public image
- Demonstrate civic leadership
The price paid for green power can vary widely by:
- Resource type (e.g., solar, wind, biomass)
- Resource geography
- Product type (renewable energy certificate [REC], utility pricing, fixed pricing)
- Contract duration
The US Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Locator lists residential price premiums for some green power products. Economies of scale may provide large volume buyers lower price premiums than the residential rates imply. The EPA recommends seeking multiple price estimates from suppliers to assess the going market rate for green power products that meet your organization’s purchase specifications.
Eclipse Renewable Energy is dedicated to helping you make effective choices for your own green power generation.